The Parsnip Ship is always looking for new plays and new voices...
but for our third season, especially as we experience the current administration’s policies, we are incredibly interested in plays that address the modern world or are written by playwrights whose voices are underrepresented in it. As a play series who believes there are as many distinctive styles and voices as there are playwrights, we remain open to a wide range of plays that will engage audiences in an intimate setting and on a podcast format. We see our recordings as a fun collaborative effort between us, the playwright, the directors, musicians and the actors.
Some questions we like to ask ourselves as we consider a play:
- Does the play work in an audio only format?
- Is the play diverse and/or innovative in perspective, voice or content?
- Is the play exciting and unexpected?
Before you send in your play for consideration, take a listen to one of our episodes from Season Two as it best encompasses what we strive for both for the actual play reading and for our published readings.
A couple of logistical items to know before applying:
- we can ONLY accommodate up to 7 actors and one stage directions reader;
- we can accommodate 3 inputs for our musical guest, i.e. 1 mic and 2 instruments/2 mics and 1 instrument/3 mics;
- our playwright must be present for the recording (and usually rehearsals too).
We will be accepting full length submissions by individual playwrights, playwrights/director teams, playwright/director/music teams from February 15 - March 31, 2017 for our third season (September 2017 - June 2018). We fully encourage individual playwrights to apply; Iyvon will work with you to pair a director, cast, and musical guest from our pool of amazing collaborators. Please follow the instructions below to apply:
***Once you hit "Submit" you will be given an email address to send your play to,
do not close your window before you receive the email address.***
We will update playwrights on the status of their submission on May 15, 2017.